A tasty vegan shepherds pie with a sweet potatoes mash. Ideal for the colder evenings
Vegan shepherd’s pie with sweet potato mash
A delicious vegan shepherds pie using sweet potatoes for a twist
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 large carrots cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 400 g chopped tomato
- 400 g lentils
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 200 ml red wine
- 950 g sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 85 g vegan cheese
- 25 g vegan butter
- 150 ml water
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Add the carrots, and most of the chopped thyme, reserving a small amount
- Pour in the red wine, water, and chopped tomatoes, then add the stock cubes and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the lentils, including the juice, cover and simmer for approx.10 mins
- Boil the sweet potatoes for approx 15 minutes, until tender, drain well, then mash with the butter and season to taste.
- Put the lentil mixture into a pie dish, add the mash on top,then sprinkle over the vegan cheese and the remaining thyme.
- Put in the oven and cook for approx. 30 minutes until the top is brown and bubbling. Serve with green cabbage or brocolli