Delicious vegan sausage rolls that are bound to be popular with your vegan and non-vegan friends
Vegan sausage rolls
These delicious vegan sausage rolls are bound to be popular with your family and friends
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped sage leaves
- 1 tbsp brown rice miso
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 30 g chestnuts very finely chopped
- 70 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 320 g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 tbsp soya milk to glaze
- Put the mushrooms into a food processor and pulse until they are very finely chopped. Put half the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the leeks along with a pinch of salt and fry gently for 15 mins or until softened and golden brown. Remove the leeks from the pan, put them into a bowl, and set them aside to cool a little.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the mushrooms for 10 mins over a medium heat. Add the garlic, sage, miso and mustard, and fry for a further minute. Leave to cool slightly.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Tip the mushroom mixture into the bowl with the leeks, then add the chestnuts and breadcrumbs. Season, then mix everything together
- Roll the pastry out so that one side measures 43 cm. Mould the mushroom and leek mixture into a sausage shape down the centre of the pastry, then bring the pastry up around the filling and seal along the seam with a fork. Cut into ten pieces. Lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush each piece with milk. Bake for 25 mins or until deep, golden brown. Leave to cool a little and sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.