This vegan moussaka is a delicious take on traditional moussaka using Quorn mince and fresh mint. It would make a tasty weeknight supper dish to share with family and friends. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread or pitta bread
- 4 tbsp olive oil plus extra for greasing
- 1 small aubergine around 250g cut into roughly 1cm slices
- 1 large courgette around 225g trimmed and cut into roughly 1cm slices
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into roughly 1cm slices
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 150 g/5½oz chestnut mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed (optional)
- 250 g Quorn Mince
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- ⅔ tsp fresh chopped mint
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 vegan vegetable stock cube
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the white sauce
- 50 g vegan butter
- 40 g plain flour
- 400 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 75 g vegan cheese for melting such as ‘mozzarella-style’ grated
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Place the sliced aubergine and courgette in a single layer on the tray and brush with a tablespoon of olive oil. Season with ground black pepper. Roast in the oven for 10–12 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned.
- Fry the Quorn mince in 1 tbsp olive oil for approx. 5-7 minutes
- Fill a medium saucepan two-thirds full with water and bring to the boil. Add the sweet potato slices and return to the boil. Cook for 3–4 minutes, or until just tender. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, non-stick saucepan and fry the onion and mushroom over a high heat for 3–4 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown, stirring. Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds more.
- Stir in the quorn, tomatoes, tomato purée, mint, cinnamon and crumbled stock cube. Refill the tomato tin with water (around 400ml) and pour into the pan. Stir well, bring to a simmer and cook for 12–15 minutes, or until the sauce is thick, stirring regularly.
- While the vegetables are simmering, make the white sauce. Melt the vegan butter in a saucepan mix in the flour and gradually add the milk stirring continuously until you get a thick sauce. Add the yeast, bay leaf and season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly over a moderate heat for 4–5 minutes, or until smooth and thickened. Add the vegan ‘mozzarella’ and cook for 1–2 minutes more, stirring. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes over the base of a well-oiled 1.25-litre baking dish (a lasagne dish is ideal). Spread with half of the Quorn mixture. Top with the aubergine and courgette slices, then add the rest of the Quorn mixture, spreading to the sides of the dish.
- Remove the bay leaf from the white sauce and pour the sauce over the mixture
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and bubbling. Stand for 5–10 minutes. Serve with a green salad
Nutritional InformationPer serving
499 kcal |16g protein | 60g carbohydrates | Sugar 20g | 19g fat | Saturated Fat 6g | 12g fibre |1.7g salt.