A delicious recipe for vegan mince pies that everyone can enjoy
Vegan mince pies
Delicious vegan mince pies
- 50 g currants
- 50 g sultanas
- 75 g raisins
- 50 g mixed peel
- 40 g shredded vegetable suet
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1 cooking apple small peeled, cored and grated
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75 g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp dark rum 3
- VEGAN PASTRY
- 400 g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 200 g vegan baking block cubed, plus extra for the tin
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp soya milk for glazing
- For the mincemeat, tip all of the ingredients, except the rum, into a small pan and simmer over a low-medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until the vegan block melts and the mixture looks thick and glossy. Remove from the heat and leave to cool to room temperature, stirring every so often as it cools and thickens.
- Put the flour and baking block in a bowl and rub the block into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and 2-3 tbsp of ice-cold water to bring the dough together. Knead briefly in the bowl, then flatten to a disc, wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Stir the rum into the cooled mincemeat. Use some of the baking block to oil the holes of a shallow 12-hole fairy cake tin. Cut off a third of the chilled pastry and set aside. Roll the remaining two-thirds out to the thickness of a £1 coin on a lightly floured work surface and use an 8cm round pastry cutter to stamp out 12 circles (the circles should be 2cm larger than the holes of your tin). Line the holes of the tin with the pastry circles, re-rolling and stamping out more if needed.
- Spoon 1 heaped teaspoon of the mincemeat into each of the pastry cases (you may not use it all). Roll the remaining pastry out as before and stamp out the lids using a 6cm pastry cutter (the circles should be about 2cm smaller than the bases were). Brush some of the soya milk on the edges of the exposed pastry cases, then top with the lids, pressing down gently to seal. Cut a small steam hole into the tops using the tip of a sharp knife. Chill while the oven heats, or for at least 10 minutes. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Brush the tops of the mince pies with the remaining soya milk and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and crisp. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the pies to loosen them from the tin. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.