This tasty vegan macaroni cheese is easy to make. It makes six portions and is great for sharing with family and friends on a cold winter evening
Vegan Macaroni Cheese
A tasty, comforting supper dish that is great for sharing with friends and family on a cold winter's evening
- Food Processor
- 350 g dried macaroni
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 litre unsweetened soya milk
- 100 g vegan butter
- 85 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp English mustard heaped
- 11/2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 50 g grated vegan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ bunch fresh thyme
- olive oil
- 40 g bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Cook the macaroni in a pan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions
- Peel the onion and then half it. put the milk in a pan and add the onion, heat over a medium heat.
- Remove the onion from the milk. Set the pan aside. in another pan, melt the began butter, then add the flour, string continuously until it forms a paste.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously until smooth. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and the mustard and add the grated vegan cheese.
- Drain the macaroni and add to the sauce. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and set aside.
- Peel the garlic and finely slice. Discard the stalks of the thyme. Cook with a little bit of olive oil over a medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes. Then put in a food processer with the breadcrumbs and a little bit of oil until chopped and combined. Sprinkle over the pasta
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden. Serve with a green salad