These Mediterranean inspired vegan stuffed peppers are easy to make and make a tasty mid-week family meal. Serve with a crisp green salad. I have used microwaveable rice to save time.
Spicy Vegan Stuffed Red Peppers
- 500 g passata
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped, optional
- 18 pitted green olives roughly chopped
- 2 medium red peppers halved and deseeded
- 250 g packet of Mexican rice microwaveabe
- 2 medium tomatoes 1 roughly chopped, 1 finely chopped
- handful basil chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Use an oven proof dish that is large enough to fit the pepper, Tip the passata into the dish.
- Stir the chilli flakes, half of the garlic and half of the olives through the passata and season. Sit the pepper halves on top of the passata mixture, cut-side up, and bake for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, Cook the rice in the microwave according to the packet instructions, tip the rice into a bowl and loosen with a fork or your hands until the grains are separated.
- Add the remaining olives and the roughly chopped tomato. Carefully spoon the rice mixture into the cooked peppers Stir any leftover rice through the passata mixture around the peppers, then return to the oven and bake for a further 10 mins, or until the rice is heated through.
- Combine the remaining garlic, the finely chopped tomato, basil, and olive oil. Drizzle the dressing over the peppers, then serve with a green salad on the side.
Nutrition ValuesPer serving
285 kcal| fat 14g | saturated fat 1g |carbs 30g | sugar 11g |fibre 4g |protein 7g |salt 0.79g